Monday, May 10, 2004

Addi Admiration

Ahhh... day off. How I needed thee, and am enjoying thee while sitting about in a t-shirt, in my always-cool basement at my sad computer with only dial-up service. Hence, no pictures in my update today, but plenty of time to write.

Last Friday, I convinced my friend Heather to leave work early and accompany me to Cloverhill - I had never been there, and it's only a 5 minute drive from work, so I thought I should check it out. Plus, I was still having a fiber hangover from Sheep and Wool, and figured I'd be safe from buying anything. Silly me.

Turns out, Tim was supposed to pick me up there and drive me home around 4:15 or 4:30 (we arrived at Cloverhill at 4ish). A call to my cell phone told me he wouldn't be in Catonsville until closer to 5 (which actually turned out to be 6, thanks to Beltway and airport traffic -- he had to drop someone off at BWI). Of course, it was the one day thta I had no knitting projects in my work bag. I did, however, have the Fiona pattern in my bag, which I printed off, thinking I might knit-along if I had yarn at home that I could use. His running late plus my lack of projects plus Cotton Fleece at 20% off told me that I was meant to knit Fiona, with the lovely Rug Red, which is a darker, almost maroon red. I also had no needles, so I picked up my first set of Addi turbo circulars.

And how I'm enjoying the Addis! I love the resilience and flexibility of the cable that joins the needles! It's the only one that doesn't get annoyed at the ways that I try to make it flex. Working with cotton-blend yarn is new and not-too-fun so far, but the Addis are making it a little easier. I'm about 6" into the bag, and, aside from the mini-cables at the edges, it's going pretty well. I think I'm knitting a little too undergauge, since the thing has no structure, but I can always sew in a lining to make it stand up a little better.

Much other knitting and spinning went on this weekend -- I finished up the sweater-in-the-round sleeves and everything is blocking on my new blocking boards; yarns were sorted into the correct bins; 50 yards of variegated blue-green-purple has been plied and is drying happily. It'll be much more interesting once I'm back at work and can post pictures from my ethernet-enabled connection!

No comments: